05 June 2017

My most recent & earlier paint jobs since Nov 2016

I wanted to share a couple of pics with my paint jobs done November 2016 through May 2017. I haven't managed to post much during that time, besides our Hochkirch Refight. I continue to pursue my self chosen mission to complete at least a 100 miniatures in a year from among my drawers pile of unpainted miniatures left. I wasn't idle, really.
During May, I finished a battalion of Prussian Grenadiers. Converged IR 13 & 26. For the first time, I added a battalion gun with an infantry stand. I'm very pleased with the result. After all, I found a good use of my various flat gun models that I have.


These firing grenadier miniatures are a real treasure. Very rare old pre WWII casts of Kieler Zinnfiguren. I'm afraid you cannot buy them anymore. Really wonderfully sculptured or better engraved casting moulds were mastered here. The gun model is a Berliner Zinnfiguren 6-pounder model - their take, I should say, but quite fine dimensionwise.
During March and April 2017 I did two infantry regiment stands. One is the Prussian IR 18 Prinz von Preussen, or Prince Royal, with my units throughout French language labeling. The other is the Hesse-Cassel regiment Mansbach (IR 8). The miniatures are a mix of various foundries. Mostly Scholtz – i.e. Berliner Zinnfiguren.

Earlier in February I painted another battailon or Prussian converged Grenadiers. Its the elites from among the Prussian crack regiments Garde IR 15 & Prinz von Preussen IR 18. Miniatures are mostly Hamburg based Herbu foundry. The smart looking mounted officer is from Scholtz, Berlin.






In January, I painted a nice set of French dismounted dragoons. Its the regiment of d'Apchon, I did here.
Really smart looking lads.
I had this set of figures on my must-have-list since the 1980's! Believe it or not, but I only managed to buy them last year. I never had any use for dismounted cavalry in my rules, until my research on the French 7YW army during the early 2000's revealed that French dragoons had been seen fighting dismounted moreoften during the war, as they were more seen as light troops rather then cavalry of the line.


Finally, during Nov-Dec 2016 I painted a whole load of Russian Cannoniers. They are mostly figures from my late friends collection that I inherited. My now completed range of rather authentic looking 7YW Russian gun models, that I had done during the previous years demanded for equal looking Russian Cannoniers. Only thanks to a present by Jim Purky, the gun models could be completed with three more of his wonderful Fife&Drum Foundry Russian Unicorn models. I now have 7 gun models completed. Two more of the F&D Unicorn models & a Foundry medium cannon I still need to do. The Cannoniers I did in rather short time. Its 58 men total. Enough to man my gun models. Most are Kieler Zinnfiguren, a number are conversions of mine & 6 rather obscure figures seem to originate from a Russian foundry – not a German one.
#
The Fife&Drum Unicorn is the mosle left model in above image.



Two Foundry Schuwalov secret howitzers seen here. The gun crew of the front piece appear to be figures from a Russian based foundry. Very nice figures. They were already painted rather nice. I just added a bit more highlights and shading. I'm not so sure about the head gear. These mitres look more like Viennese gondolas. Apart from my frew grenadiers intermingled with my gunners, they are the only ‘real’ Russian miniatures. Bombardiers they are, rather then Cannoniers. All other figures are Prussian gunners, really. No German foundry supplies Russian models, as far as I'm aware.


16 comments:

  1. Stunning brushwork! They really do look three-dimensional.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. First class as usual, any chance you could list the main companies you get your figures from please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful, worth the wait to see these additions to your wonderful collection, thank you
    Chris
    http://notjustoldschool.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see some new great figures from your painting table - very inspiring, especially the non-metallic-metal effects! Your horses and flags are stunning...

    Cheers

    Fedja

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice painting (as usual) : figures, flags, guns, drums...
    Question : which brand of varnish do you use ? If this is not a secret of course ! :-) Just curious.
    Thank you ahead for the answer.
    Best Regards

    ReplyDelete
  6. Russian artillerymen Alexander Metelev, engraver from St. Petersburg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Anonymous from Russia.
    Is there a foundry in St. Petersbourg that sells the figures in an online-shop perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sehr geehrter Herr Rogge,
    herzlichen Dank für Ihren wundervollen Blog. Die Informationen sind grandios!
    Wenn Sie mir bitte eine Frage erlauben:
    Sie haben die Lafetten der Bückeburger Artillerie schwarz gemalt. welche Quelle haben Sie hierzu. Ich habe trotz intensiver suche keine Angaben finden können. Ich freue mich auf Ihre Antwort sehr. Mit herzlichen Grüßen
    Uwe Handke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lieber Herr Handke,

      die Farbgebung meines bückeburgischen Modells war seiner Zeit eher spekulativ, da mir die Informationen fehlten – genau wie Ihnen. Heute weiss ich aber mehr. Das Bückeburger Schloss besitzt 2 Originalstücke – 6-Pfünder, die Rohre nach 1762 gegossen, da sie auch Wilhelm's Insignien als general der portugisischen Armee im Wappen führen. Ich habe nur einige Fotos finden können, die nicht alle Details zeigen. Bestimmt haben sie eine „Schusswinde“ nach schwedischer Art mit senkrecht stehender Gewindestange zum richten. Die Lafetten sind weiss gestrichen mit schwarzen Eisenteilen. Sie scheinen nach Art der englischen Kanonen aus John Muller’s Treatiese on Artillerie proportioniert worden zu sein, das ich in meinem Artikel zur englischen Artillerie erwähne. Im Schloss versicherte man mir, das sie völlig Original in allen Teilen sind. Sie wurden vor einigen Jahern in Polen restauriert – daher dachte ich zunächst es seien angekaufte Repliken aus den USA.
      Viel mehr kann ich noch nicht sagen, da ich sie selbst noch nicht im Original gesehen habe.

      Delete
    2. Lieber Herr Rogge,
      ganz herzlichen Dank für Ihre Antwort. Im Rahmen meiner Recherche bin auf eine Reenactmengruppe gestoßen, die ihre Lafette hellgrau gestrichen haben. Auch findet sich im Internet eine sogenannte Alarmkanone. Diese Lafette ist weiß - schwarz gestreift lackiert.
      Ein Artilleriebataillon der Bundeswehr hatte eine Patenschaft.Dieses Bataillon hatte für feierlichkeiten Originalstücke zur Verfügung. Allerdings warne die Lafetten in Holzfarben und in einem sehr schlechten Zustand. Das Bataillon wurde leider aufgelöst, so dass kein Ansprechpartner mehr zur Verfügung steht. Falls ich noch weitere Informationen lasse ich es Sie gerne wissen. Mit herzlichen Grüßen, Ihr Uwe Handke

      Delete
  9. I really don't know how I have missed your blog...
    Beautiful toys beautifully painted and presented.
    An inspiration...thank you.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a question for you. I bought a miniature bronze cannon for my husband. I'm at a loss to ID its era. Your site was most helpful...it seems close to the cannon i have...yet not quite. the field cannon has a 'castile" style coat on it and roman numerals MDLXX. The style mostly resembles the Valliere system ...but the roman numerals and the Castile are confusing. Any thoughts? Wish I could add photos to show you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Laela,

    I'm afraid the bit of information you provide is too scarce to come up with an idea. I take it with "Castile" you mean a Spanish coat of arms. The roman numerals would indicate the year of its cast. Yours would be 1570. So it would be a cannon of the period of Francis Drake, really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic figures, as usual. I like most the Russian battery with staff - outstanding!
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  13. As ever your figures are a delight - please don't stay away so long as I find your figures are uplifting.

    ReplyDelete